TRG provides a complete spectrum of state-of-the-art musculoskeletal imaging including digital radiography, fluoroscopy, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and musculoskeletal ultrasound. TRG musculoskeletal radiologists Dr. Heller and Dr. Bonham are fellowship-trained in musculoskeletal radiology and offer subspeciality interpretation of all musculoskeletal cross-sectional examinations and also perform a wide variety of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures throughout the musculoskeletal system, including arthrography, targeted medication injections, aspirations, and biopsies. Our musculoskeletal subspecialists work closely with referring physicians from orthopedic surgery, rheumatology, and sports medicine and are always available for consultation to provide exceptional customer service to our referring providers and patients.
Musculoskeletal Imaging and Intervention
Ultrasound imaging does not use ionizing radiation and is an extremely safe and effective way to help diagnose:
- Tendon, muscle, and ligament injuries (ie tears of the rotator cuff in the shoulder and Achilles tendon in the ankle)
- Early changes of arthritis, such as gout, rheumatoid arthritis, and osteoarthritis
- Benign and malignant soft tissue tumors
- Bleeding and fluid collections
- Joint effusions (fluid in the joint) and painful joints
What are some of the advantages of ultrasound?
- Real time scanning during movement and at rest
- Easy to compare between one side of the body and the other
- Shows detailed soft tissue anatomy not seen on X-ray or CT
- Does not have the strong magnetic field of MRI and can be used with pacemakers, ferromagnetic implants, or metallic fragments within the body -Easy to perform on claustrophobic patients and children
Common procedures performed:
Diagnostic procedures Shoulder Evaluation of the proximal biceps tendon, rotator cuff, glenohumeral joint, and acromioclavicular joint Elbow Evaluation of the distal biceps tendon, triceps tendon, elbow joint, flexor and extensor tendons Hand and wrist Evaluation of the carpal tunnel, median nerve, extensor tendons, and joint spaces Hip Evaluation of the iliopsoas tendon, gluteal tendons, hamstrings, and hip joint Knee Evaluation of the quadriceps tendon, patellar tendon, Baker’s cyst, and joint spaces Foot and ankle Evaluation of flexor, extensor, peroneal, and Achilles tendons, ligaments, joint spaces, and Morton neuroma
Therapeutic joint injections and arthrograms Shoulder, hip, elbow, knee, ankle Therapeutic tendon and bursa injections
- Biceps, gluteal, iliopsoas, hamstring
- Dry needling and myofascial trigger point injections
- Ganglion cyst aspiration
- Barbotage aspiration for calcific tendinitis
- Selective nerve blocks
This list does not include every procedure available. For questions or to schedule a consultation, please contact us.